Friday, June 25, 2010

Places to buy minerals and crystals

So ... where exactly do you get cool specimens of minerals? Depends what you think is cool I guess. And, what flavor of rock collector you are. Some people like rough rocks. Some people like polished rocks. Some people are into metaphysical, new age themes. Some people want things from certain locations. Some people like fluorite only. Some people like certain colors. You catch my drift.

I have found eBay to be a great source. However, you need to make sure you find a reputable dealer. Someone who stands behind their product. Because all you're going on is a couple of photographs. And, sometimes the photos do not adequately represent the specimen. Especially if you take a picture in the sun. Things will look lighter, light will bounce off - perhaps create visual anomalies. Then when you get the crystal or mineral - it just doesn't look like it did. It's these times that you need to have a good seller - who will stand behind what they sell and take it back if you're not happy. And, taking it back means no restocking fee. I guess finding good eBay sellers would be a post on its own.

Back to where else to get rocks. You can go to rock shows. I wonder if I posted this already? Maybe I did. Okay. Rock shows - if you're lucky you may have some rock shows close to your home.

You can go to museum gift shops, science stores, other online stores.

It's easier to buy something when you can see it and hold it. But, you can be limiting yourself if you do it this way. There are tons of other things you can find online that you couldn't find at a rock show. And, online, there's no real pressure. You can take your time. But, of course, you could wind up losing what you wanted online.

I get mine from eBay, rock shows, gift shops. I sort of prefer online shopping - with some of my favorite sellers. Only because when I go to a show, I feel confused and overwhelmed. I already have so many nice things, I have a hard time finding really neat new things that knock my socks off.

No comments:

Post a Comment